Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Somber Reverie

"Letting go of your anger is ok, in fact, it helps dissapate the rage that builds inside. You know what I mean, Nate?"

Nate stopped twiddling his thumbs and looked up.

"Yeah but," he searched for a moment, then groaned, "This is stupid...why the heck are we using metaphors?"

The doctor smiled and leaned back in his enormous plush chair, allowing the few beams of sunlight that managed to slice through his thick velvet curtains rest on him. His thin face peered through an enormous pair of glasses, and said "Beacuse Nate, it helps us...break into your inner psychy. Let us see who you really are."

"I've already told you who I really am, and if you can't remember that, I might as well stop coming."

"No, no, no thats not what I meant! I meant...well, I'm not entirely sure how to explain it to you."

"try."

He adjusted his sleeves, and took off his glasses. "Well, your like a bull in a china cabinet. You've heard that saying before, yes?" He perched them back on his crooked nose.

He continued, "This school is the cabinet, and you the bull. Well, more like the time bomb. You could go off at any moment, and seriously damage several students in this school."

Nate crossed his arms and glowered, "That's not what my drive does."

The doctor rolled his eyes and matched his patient with an icy stare. "I'm not saying that's what your drive is, I'm saying that's what your personality entails. You are a dangerous young man, Nate, especially considering your less than savory past."

He looked away and glaced at the clock, hoping for a sign that this interagation was ending. Usually their sessions were alot more therapeutic, and not so intimidating.

The old doctor's office was like how old movies show college dean's, dusty and filled with last millenia's antiques. Strange insturments and delicate glass sat on shelfs, beside thick books the size of cynder blocks. These shelfs covered the walls all around the room, except where the window was, that was reserved for an enormous mahogany desk. It's sides were carved with intricate designs, and resting on it were mountains of unexplored papers.

After a few restless moments, he shrugged, "What do you want me to say about that?"

"I'm just stating, you are a dangerous young man. Your a hazard to yourself and the world around you, and thats why you come to see me. To let out all of that aggression."

Nate nodded slowly, "right, sort of the point."

Once more, an awkward silence embedded the room. Today wasn't going to a good start.

"So...I heard your father called recently-," Nate waited for the inevitable, "-how do you feel about that?"

He snorted in contempt, "well I'm irritated, if that's what your wondering. He won't leave me alone. As soon as I got in here it's like...he suddenly realized he's my sperm donor again! It's a joke. In fact, I think this entire place is a joke! It's his idea of a prison, except its more socially exceptable."

Off in the distance, a bell rang off, accompanied by the muffled and indistinguishable voice of a young woman.

The doctor smiled and stood up, then sauntered over to his desk. "Ah, I completely forgot about the memo! There's a mandatory UDC this morning, some idiot did something last night." He shook his head, "honestly, I've noticed nothing out of the ordinary, but this place does pay for the best. We'll continue this session after your classes today?"

Nate picked up his bag and reached for the door, "Whatever you say Dr.Sherman." 

No comments:

Post a Comment